Financial counselling is a free, safe and confidential service to help you deal with financial problems caused by gambling. Qualified financial counsellors listen without judgement and help you deal with debt, credit issues and develop a plan to get your finances back on track — and relieve the stress of money problems.
Financial counselling is available to people trying to change their gambling as well as couples, family and friends. Financial counsellors can also help with accessing other support services.
A financial counsellor can:
- assess your finances, explain your options and work with you to develop a plan
- deal with credit providers to help you with loan, credit card or mortgage debt
- negotiate with your utility providers (electricity, gas, phone) and other providers to develop achievable payment plans
- help you work out a budget
- refer you to other specialist support services you might need, including counselling, legal services, and emergency and fine relief
- identify and help you access concessions, for example cost of living concession, entitlements like no-interest loans, and complaint and resolution options like ombudsmen and internal dispute resolutions.
To see if Financial Counselling is right for you, call 1800 007 007 Weekdays from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm or chat live online to a counsellor.
This service is available to anyone concerned about their gambling or someone else’s gambling.