People gamble for a range of reasons. For some people it’s a social activity where they can hang out with friends and have a laugh. Others are attracted to the possibility of winning money or the high they experience when they win. Other people gamble to take their mind off other problems in their life.
Being aware of why you gamble can help you identify the triggers in your life that make you want to gamble and how you can avoid them.
Do you gamble to:
- win back losses and fix money problems
- generate excitement
- avoid problems (like relationship conflict)
- cope with trauma, physical or emotional pain
- feel better about yourself
- meet people and feel connected to your community?
If you need help to identify your gambling triggers and find strategies to deal with them, go to Get Support.